☞ 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
☞ 2 teaspoons of baking powder
☞ 1/2 teaspoon of salt
☞ 1 cup of plain yogurt or sour cream
☞ 1 cup of sugar
☞ 3 large eggs
☞ Zest of a large orange, finely grated
☞ 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
☞ 1/2 cup vegetable oil
☞ 2 cups of fresh cranberries
☞ 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
☞ 2 tablespoons of sugar
☞ 1 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar) – more or less
☞ 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
– Preheat the oven to 350. Butter the bottom and sides of a chimney cake pan, then flour and shake to remove the excess. Reserve.
– Cranberry and orange cake
– In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Reserve.
– In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, orange zest, vanilla and oil. add the dry ingredients, mix with a wooden spoon.
– In another bowl, mix the cranberries with a spoonful of flour, and stir to flour the fruit. Gently add to the dough with a wooden spoon.
– Pour the dough into the prepared mold and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the cake is cooked, and a knife inserted in its center comes out sufficiently dry. Let cool for 10 minutes in the mold, then delicately unmold by turning over onto a plate.
* Prepare the orange syrup :
– Combine orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved in the liquid. Continue cooking for 3 minutes, stirring a little, then remove from heat.
– prod holes in the top & sides of the cake using a toothpick. Then brush the cake with the hot syrup in several stages, until all the liquid is absorbed.
– Let cool for 2 hours before icing.
* Orange icing:
– Combine the powdered sugar and orange juice together in a bowl and stir with a whisk. Add more or less orange juice or sugar to obtain the desired quantity and consistency. The frosting should be thick, but flow slowly when poured over the cake.
– Pour the icing on the cake and let it run inside and out for a nice effect. Leave to set, then enjoy.