- Ground beef: a lb
- Ground mild Italian sausage: half a lb
- Onion: 1 (small, finely chopped)
- Chopped bell pepper: half a cup (I used orange, it was all I had in the freezer)
- Olive oil: 1 small spoon
- Worcestershire sauce: 1 small spoon
- Garlic: 1 clove (minced)
- Oregano: 1/2 small spoon
- Basil: 1/2 small spoon
- Parsley: 1/2 small spoon
- Egg: 1 (beaten)
- Italian bread crumbs: 3/4 of a cup
- White bread: 2 slices (crumbled)
- Milk: 1 T.
- Mozzarella cheese: about 8 oz., shredded (for topping; 3/4 of a cup should be reserved)
- Parmesan cheese: 1/4 a cup
- Marinara sauce: 1 C. + 1/2 -3/4 C. more for topping
1. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over meduim high heat, and sauté the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes; remove from heat.
2. The pick a large bowl, and add in the meats, onion and peppers along with all remaining ingredients reserving 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese for topping.
3. Make sure to dive in there using your hands and combine everything very well.
4. Now that it has all come together, you may want to place and mold the mixture in a baking dish of your choice. Personally, I prefer oval Portuguese stoneware for ours. And please spoon 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the marinara sauce on top; spread around.
5. Immediately place in a 400 degree oven for about 50 minutes. After 50 mins, you can remove from the oven and top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle a little dry basil over the top. You'll need to return to the oven for another 10 more minutes.
6. The meat shouldn't be pink before serving. Always remember that baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your loaf; mine was about 2″ thick.