– Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate: 1 pkg. (4 oz)
– Water: ½ cup
– Flour: 2 cups
– Baking soda: 1 teaspoon
– Salt: ¼ teaspoon
– Butter: 1 cup, softened (about 2 sticks)
– Sugar: 2 cups
– Egg: 4 (separated)
– Vanilla: 1 teaspoon
– Buttermilk: 1 cup
– Egg yolks: 4
– Evaporated milk: 1 can (about 12 ounces)
– Vanilla: 1 to 1/2 teaspoons
– Sugar: 1 to 1/2 cups
– Butter : ¾ cup (about 1 to 1/2 sticks)
– Coconut: 1 pkg. (about 7 ounces)
– Chopped pecans: 1 to 1/2 cups
#GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover bottoms of 3 8″ or 9″ round cake pans with parchment paper, making sure to butter sides of pans.
2. Pick large microwavable bowl and microwave in chocolate and water on high until almost melted, stirring after 1 minute until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Make sure to mix together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. In large bowl on medium speed, beat butter and sugar an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Next add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and then blend in melted chocolate and the vanilla. You’ll want to add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
5. In a small bowl on high speed, beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form, and stir into batter gently. Now please pour evenly into prepared pans.
6. You can then bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, it takes around 30 minutes. After that, run small metal spatula around cake layers.
7. Once done, cool in pans for about 15 minutes, remove layers from the pans to wire racks. Immediately discard parchment paper, Cool cake layers completely.
8. Finally, make sure to spread coconut-pecan frosting between cake layers and onto top of cake
1. In large saucepan, beat together egg yolks, milk and vanilla with a wire whisk until well blended.
2. Afterwards, add sugar and butter and cook on medium heat until thickened and golden brown, then remove from heat.
3. When finished, add coconut and nuts and mix well. Cool to desired consistency. This should make about 4-1/2 cups of frosting, enough to frost 3 cake layers or 36 cupcakes.